Tuesday, November 2, 2010

DOES ONE VOTE COUNT

     Every time elections come I use to ask myself does my one vote really count. The knowledge I have now and what I had seen in the 2000 Presidential election is yes. I was living in Florida at the time in Broward County, that was one of the contested hot spots for voting recounts. I came up to Massachusetts to visit my family and I was watching the election that night with my brother-in-law and we were talking and saying figures it boils down to a state that I lived in.
     He asked me if I put in an absentee ballot and I am ashamed to say that I didn't. I didn't think it mattered, my one vote. I went to sleep that night and I remember they declared Gore the winner in Florida and when I woke up I was shocked to hear that Bush won Florida.
     It came down that President George Bush won the state of Florida by only 537 votes and I was one of those votes because I normally vote democratic. I will never forget that and it finally answered my question, does my one vote count and yes it does. So I am off to my precinct to vote and I know my vote matters.